Last Updated on July 27, 2023 by Sarah Gayda
In this post you will learn how to:
- Save incoming email messages from your Office 365 Outlook inbox to SharePoint
- Apply metadata and retention labels as you save emails to SharePoint for quick search and easy record management using Colligo Email Manager for Microsoft 365
- Set up quick access “pinned” SharePoint folders to rapid save to desired locations
- Share emails as a secure link without leaving Outlook
- Capture email to SharePoint using Outlook for O365 on a mobile device
How to save Outlook email to SharePoint with metadata and labels
Note: You can complete this process using Microsoft Outlook on any platform (Outlook on Windows or Mac Desktop, Outlook Online, using Outlook Mobile App for iOS or Android). The screenshots below show the Windows Desktop version of Outlook to save email.
Here’s how you can save Outlook email following our easy 3-step process:
1. Open Outlook and click on the Colligo email manager icon to open the side bar on the right in Outlook.
- Note that you can pin the Colligo add-in open to always be ready, which saves you time.
- If you wish to save any attachments, including pdf files, separately from the email check this box. Note, Colligo can save any attachment file format to SharePoint.
2. Choose a filing location using any of the below options:
- Choose from a prompted location, which will be based on previous emails you filed for this sender.
- Choose one of the locations that your administrator has pushed to Colligo.
- Choose from the “pinned” locations you previously selected as favourites.
- Search for any site in the search box. You can then search for any folder in the selected site.
- Browse through the list of all the M365 filing locations you have access to in OneDrive, SharePoint, or Microsoft Teams.
3. Click on the upload icon.
- That’s it, you’re done! Colligo will automatically extract basic email metadata from the email (like Sender, Recipient, Subject, Date Sent, etc.) and file into SharePoint/Teams or OneDrive.
- There are some additional steps that many customers want to turn on in order to classify emails and documents more fully. Continue reading to learn about these.
Additional Classification Options
- If you selected the option to separate attachments, select the emails and attachments to upload.
- Add additional metadata if your use case requires further classification of emails or attachments for records management.
- Add a retention label to employment agreements, contracts, etc. that determine how long a document will be stored in SharePoint.
Note: The MSG file is the export of your email message complete with attachments. Think of the MSG file saved to SharePoint as the backup of your critical email messages and attachments. Most companies no longer support saving emails to insecure PST files.
Share a link to email saved in SharePoint right from Outlook
You can conveniently share a link to an email immediately after you have copied it to SharePoint from the Follow-on screen.
- Choose the desired sharing option, including putting a message in Microsoft Teams or sending a link.
- A new email will be created. Add recipients and other information as needed before sending.
Note: You can send a link anytime when creating a new email by clicking on the Colligo icon.
Capture email to SharePoint on a mobile device
This example is using the iPhone Outlook Mobile App.
- Preview an email and click on the ellipses (…) to the right of the recipient line.
- Choose the Colligo add-in (note this should be pushed by your Administrator).
- Choose the filing location and label and file the same way as the desktop app.
Want to try it out?
Protecting your email with Colligo is as simple as Click Save. Request a trial with Colligo.
For more information about how to save emails from Outlook to SharePoint, get in touch.