Last night, we had the pleasure to welcome Christian Buckley at the Vancouver SharePoint User Group (@VanSPUG) event, which is hosted monthly at Colligo’s offices. Christian is an Office 365/SharePoint MVP, IT consultant, sought-after speaker and prolific author. He gave a fantastic presentation to a packed room of local IT pros on the status of Microsoft’s SharePoint/Office 365 plans and how it impacts organizations today.
Christian made a strong case for IT to focus on their business needs rather than immediately jump on the promise of the cloud. While SharePoint in the cloud/Office 365 makes sense for many use cases, on-prem is here to stay and in fact, Christian highlighted that it is still a growing market.
He suggested that a gradual, hybrid approach might be more realistic for organizations to move into the cloud vs. a cold turkey strategy. And I certainly couldn’t help but think of how Colligo apps are a terrific solution for connecting users to content that’s living on multiple SharePoint environments!
Here are some excerpts of his presentation:
What cloud services should an organization pursue?
- Take a look at the tools and systems you use today, and figure out which ones could save time and money by moving to the cloud.
- Hosted Exchange is a relatively easy platform to move to the cloud — the platform is mature, and there are ample vendors offering strong SLAs.
- Focus first on moving to mature solutions (minimize risk of moving), then investigate new capabilities not already in house (minimize cost of trying new solutions)
Should you consider cloud-only or a combination of cloud and on-prem?
- Rarely can companies go entirely into the cloud, as not every platform is cloud-ready, and many orgs have extensive customizations in on-prem.
- Hybrid environments will be around for some time, and the move for many companies will be incremental.
Chris also shared a fantastic list of resources, including the following:
- Want to succeed in a hybrid world? Get a great start with these 10 resources http://ly/1sr15P8
- Office 365 SharePoint hybrid – what you DO and DO NOT get http://bit.ly/1h4EL99
- Understand and evaluate hosting options for SharePoint farms http://bit.ly/1AiLqF3
Make sure you check out Christian’s full presentation on SlideShare for a complete list of resources.
To reach Chris: